More than 150 life-size nutcrackers dot the landscape of Historic Fort Steuben and nearby blocks in Downtown Steubenville, Ohio.
The whimsical nutcrackers are – quite literally – life size at 6 feet tall and have been part of Downtown Steubenville’s holiday celebrations for the last five years.
From “The Wizard of Oz” characters to a dentist, school mascots, the Phantom of the Opera, Clark Kent and Lois Lane (sponsored by the newspapers, of course), there is bound to be at least one nutcracker to make everybody smile at the Nutcracker Village.
I took a quick trip to Steubenville (only about 30 minutes from the Pittsburgh International Airport) recently. I arrived just as the Advent Market artisans and vendors were closing up for the night, but was still able to see the nutcrackers (hours for the event are at the bottom; the park is open 24 hours).
The nutcrackers extend to where the Steubenville city government building and police department are and to the Jefferson County Courthouse. In addition, many nutcrackers are located on Fourth Street. So be sure to walk around to see them.
New this year is the Fort Steuben Gingerbread Village, which is located in the Fort Steuben Winter Wonderland.
Steubenville Mayor Jerry Barilla told the The Wheeling Intelligencer that at least 35,000 people visited in 2018. With appearances in nearby holiday parades in Pittsburgh and Wheeling, and with more publicity, that number is likely to rise this year!
There are a number of events and activities planned at the Nutcracker Village, including the Children’s Lantern Parade (Dec. 6), the Nutcracker Drumline (Dec. 8), Nutcracker Magic Parade (Dec. 14) and the Steubenville and the Jefferson County Visitor Center will be transformed into an indoor Christmas Wonderland shop.
The Steubenville Nutcracker Village is located at Historic Fort Steuben, 120 South 3rd St., Steubenville, Ohio, 43952. The display will be shown through Jan 4. You can view nutcrackers 24 hours a day.
- The Advent Market is open 3 to 8 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 29.
- Free hayrides are offered every half hour between 6 and 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. “Free Holly Trolley” rides are offered every half hour from 3 to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
- The Children’s Lantern Parade will be held at 7 p.m. Dec. 6.
- The Nutcracker Drumline will perform at 4 p.m. Dec. 8.
- Nutcracker Magic Parade will be held at noon Dec. 14.
- Christmas Wonderland and Gift Shop is open daily through Jan. 4 (with exception to Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Hours are: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays.
More information is available on the Nutcracker Village site.